A question about a recipe: Asian Garlic Green Beans

I have a question about the recipe "Asian Garlic Green Beans" from mtlabor. Why powdered ginger as opposed to fresh which is most often used in Asian cooking? I believe powdred ginger has a totally different taste

94e4609c f01a 41ef 9ee1 d7fe538c1adb  asian garlic green beans
Recipe question for: Asian Garlic Green Beans

David Torrance
David Torrance January 9, 2012

Add your answer here

David Torrance
David Torrance January 9, 2012

I am learning to use this site and i think I just sent a blank answer. I have used the recipe a few times and have used powder and fresh ginger. The result as you would expect is a little different but both tastes are great and I would not hestitate to use fresh. Only caution is to not triple the recipe on the hot pepper flakes . . .

pierino January 9, 2012

I used to ask this question about the creole cooking of New Orleans (using say, onion powder and garlic powder) and I believe the answer is that it facilitates making your own spice blends that are consistant in flavor.

mtlabor
mtlabor January 9, 2012

I actually use both. I think at the time I put this recipe up, I only had the powder in stock so that is what I used, but feel free to use fresh any time!