🔕 🔔

When making dulce de leche- is it ok to boil the condensed milk in the can, without poking holes in it?

asked by Ellenfork almost 5 years ago

No - unless you want condensed milk all over your entire kitchen! Not meaning to be snide... NO don't do it!!!

B5d4c31e d9a4 4f0e ae4e ecaa0cf95de6  dsc 0253 2
Miranda Rake

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

yes! it sounds like that is exactly what you do - no holes, but a be sure to cook at a slow rolling boil. If you're noticing that the can is beginning to bulge, of course, pull it from the heat. If this method makes you nervous, cake spy has a method that she recommends and I usually trust her : http://www.cakespy.com...
hope this helps!

D347253b 88e5 4ba1 ab1b 7b10260231b2  stringio

I've always bee afraid of that method. I use this David Lebovitz recipe.

Dulce de Leche or Confiture de Lait

Adapted from The Perfect Scoop (Ten Speed Press)

Preheat the oven to 425° F (220° C).

Pour one can (400 gr/14 ounces) of sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk) into a glass pie plate or shallow baking dish. Stir in a few flecks of sea salt.

Set the pie plate within a larger pan, such as a roasting pan, and add hot water until it reaches halfway up the side of the pie plate.

Cover the pie plate snugly with aluminum foil and bake for 1 to 1¼ hours. (Check a few times during baking and add more water to the roasting pan as necessary).

Once the Dulce de Leche is nicely browned and caramelized, remove from the oven and let cool. Once cool, whisk until smooth.

Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Warm gently in a warm water bath or microwave oven before using.

1e78f34c 0999 4079 bd2c c519a9101b4a  stringio

If you are going to cook it in the can, you DO NOT BOIL IT!!!!!! You can do this but it will need to sit in water that is just below a simmer for about 4 hours, slow and low is the way to go.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Locals in South America simply cut the top off and put in oven until the desired thickness and color.

3162c11b e070 4795 95d1 fd9492a6b582  lulusleep

I've used the can method and that worked out well. Did not poke holes, but did cook the can in low heat and kept an eye on it often.

I've also tried the oven method above and it did not work for me. I ended up having to re-do the dulce de leche the old fashion way (my go to method): milk + sugar, cook on stove top.