What is clotted cream? What can I use when I don't have it?

  • Posted by: Kanika
  • January 10, 2012


Hilarybee January 10, 2012
I've made it and it isn't that disimilar to making ricotta cheese or yoghurt. I used this recipe:

Now, it says to use full cream milk. After many visits to great Britain, I think that American Whole Milk is still significantly less fat than in the UK. So I Snowville Creamery non-homogenized heavy whipping cream. I used 4 1/2 cups. I let it sit overnight, as the recipe suggests 12 hours.

It wasn't quite as thick as what I've had in the UK, especially not in Cornwall, but it was a great substitute and better than what you can get in the import section at the grocery store.
Esther P. January 10, 2012
I'm rather partial to a pot of Rodda's with a scone... Clotted cream is so thick you can spread it, and comes with a thin crust of buttery solids on the top. I've never made it (I have no need to, I can get it in the shops) but I understand it to be a fairly simple process- it used to be a by-product of scalding milk to make it last longer. I'm sure there must be some instructions on the Internet, and while the Devonians claim it as theirs, the neighbouring Cornish do too have a look for Cornish clotted cream recipes... It's a case of gently warming milk or cream in a wide shallow dish. If you go with the mascarpone/cream combo, I'd just use those two ingredients, I don't think you'd need the sugar or vanilla in it.
bigpan January 10, 2012
Also known as Devon Cream.
nutcakes January 10, 2012
It is a thick cream with high butterfat British Product that we don't really have an equivalent for. You can get it in a jar at a specialty shop, but it really isn't the same as fresh. For a substitute I'd use creme fraische or whipped creme fraische, depending onwhat you are using it for. Or here is a suggestion of making your own similar product using marscarpone and whipping cream.
Recommended by Food52