🔕 🔔

Peeling shallots

Does anyone have a tricks for peeling shallots? I find myself soooo frustrated when I am in a hurry and trying to peel that paper thin layer of external peel from the shallot. Onions I don't seem to have the same issue with.

asked by meganvt01 almost 6 years ago

164ae6cf b233 45ae a461 8d7543fae705  melissa mitchell

That drives me nuts. I'm lazy and I cut through the first layer and peel it and the skin off. I know it's wasteful but...it keeps me shallot sane!

Wholefoods user icon

Drop the shallots in a pan of water while peeling them, the water tends to soak into the papery peel & helps peel it off easily.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

(wonder why I show up as WFM customer on Food52 when I've logged into the WFM site as Panfusine)

1e78f34c 0999 4079 bd2c c519a9101b4a  stringio

I always just try to buy the biggest shallots that I can find so that I can just peel off the first inside layer, shallots are just kinda a pain.