If a recipe calls for a sauteed shallot and you dont have 1-What can you substitute?

It is my own recipe for pork scallopini in a white wine cream sauce. It was PERFECT and my husband wants it again, but I am waiting for holiday deliveries and wrapping presents and don't want to go to the market to get a shallot. Wondering what combination of onion and garlic I should use to try and duplicate the taste? I have both a yellow onion and a sweet onion. Which one should I use and how much garlic per 1/2 diced onion should I use?

Voted the Best Reply!

Lindsay-Jean Hard December 19, 2017

I'd use the yellow onion, but honestly, either one would be fine, especially since it's such a small amount (we tend to assume 1 medium shallot is about 2 tablespoons finely chopped) and only add in garlic if you just felt like the recipe could use/benefit from garlic.

Christine Vichi
Christine Vichi December 19, 2017

thank you

kim
kim December 19, 2017

I've used white onion and I've also used Egyptian Walking Onion as a substitute.