🔕 🔔

Can I use white onion as a substitute for shallots?! (I am in the middle of cooking!)

Ok, so I need shallots and realized I didn't have any!!! AHHHH! What can I use for a substitute?!

asked by hans 9 months ago

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

It really depends on the recipe you are making. How are you using the onion? What's the recipe?

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Shallots are amazing - not onions and not garlic. Any onion can be used as substitute and recommend you make the recipe again using shallots and taste if there is a difference.

23d08e08 3b57 4e81 adcd 91701fc50809  fb avatar

You'll probably be OK with onion, but it will be more pungent, so go cautiously. Most of the shallots available are actually hybrids with a type of red onion; true shallots are pretty small. If you have red onion, that would be better.