clarifying question about shallots...

I am confused about what is considered one shallot. I know that a shallot is considered a relative of the onion, but when you take the skin off of a shallot, there are often cloves underneath said skin, similar to what you would find in a head of garlic. So, my question is: when a recipe calls for, say, four shallots, does that mean four whole shallots (even if each shallot has multiple cloves) or does it means four shallot cloves?

asked by bk_novice almost 7 years ago

When I write a recipe and use shallots, I think of one shallot as a whole shallot, even if it's multiple cloves.

Second the motion. 1 is one, regardless of how many are concealed inside.

The $1.89 Lunch Our Editor-in-Chief Swears By

Chickpeas to the Rescue

Curried Chickpea Sandwich

You can count the ingredients on one hand.

Simplest Homemade Doughnuts

Meatballs lend comfort on one family's journey from Mexico.

My Family Recipe: Mexican Meatballs

What's New in the Neighborhood

From weeknight favorites to regional classics.

12 Essential Italian Cookbooks