🔕 🔔

I want to make salsa with cara cara oranges. I don't like raw onions or raw garlic and want it mild. Any suggestions/recipe ideas? Going t

asked by sandyms almost 5 years ago
2128fec5 552d 42c2 ab41 595b53dbfb03  32 copy

This is what I do as per Rick Bayless. Use a white onion ( I know you said you don't like them and I don't eat them either) if you know how to dice them by cutting in half root to stem, lay flat on board, then cut layered sliced horizontally, then vertically then slice so total 3 directional cutting motions. You want a tiny dice. Put them in a strainer and wash in cold water. You could also just let them soak for a few minutes in a cold water bath. It rinses the offensive cysteine and I don't think you would mind them at all and it will balance the flavors for you. Or you could use a shallot minced finely.

You don't specify what you're going use the salsa for. But here are some things I'd try til I got a mix I liked (select a few that go best for your use): red bell pepper, seeded jalapeno, cilantro or parsley or mint, avocado, jicama, mango, pineapple, coconut flakes - you can tweak it to suit. Add a splash of a fruity vinegar or lime juice if needed.