Does bolognese need milk at the end of last reduction?

Old recipe says yes. Does it matter to final taste?

mrscorkhoarder
mrscorkhoarder January 12, 2012

The recipe I use (Marco Canora) doesn't call for any... I'm sure you'll be fine either way

JessicaBakes
JessicaBakes January 12, 2012

Agree with kel...it's up to you. Alton Brown puts evaporated milk in and boils for 30 minutes at the end.

GIOVANNI50
GIOVANNI50 January 12, 2012

If Alton says so. It must be good! Thanks

Cannizzo
Cannizzo January 12, 2012

My recipe calls for cream bolognese means its from Bologna north of Rome and its a regione of Italy were they use a lot of dairy in their cooking

GIOVANNI50
GIOVANNI50 January 12, 2012

The old bolognese (from Bologna!) recipe that's 400 years old calls for a full glass of milk. You are probably right! But I wanted to know if anyone noticed difference in flavor

bigpan
bigpan January 12, 2012

I add a cream about 18% fat . When you add dairy the fat allows it to not curdle and incorporate correctly. You can always take a bit out and do with dairy, then compare the two so next time you can make your preference.

pierino January 12, 2012

The milk should go in near the beginning rather than the end. And 400 years ago they didn't have tomatoes in Bologna---a product of the New World and Colombus. Tomatoes weren't even accepted as food until the late 18th Century but now considered an essential (in proportion) component to ragu bolognese along with a mixture of meats.

GIOVANNI50
GIOVANNI50 January 12, 2012

Correct! Original bolognese calls for no tomatos!

jenmmcd
jenmmcd January 12, 2012

A few years back Saveur had a really interesting article about this very topic and what they reported was that it varies. Some people swear yes; others no. But every recipe I've seen, like Pierino says, adds the milk early.