🔕 🔔

White Bean Soup Using Ham Bone

Does anyone have a great recipe that includes the use of a ham bone (with some meat still left on it) and white beans? Celery, carrots, onions, etc.?

asked by pianogirl almost 6 years ago

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

Not specifically but I think you are on the right track - cook those beans with the veggies and some herbs - maybe rosemary and bay? Throw that ham bone in there and let it all simmer away and you are bound to come out with something good!!

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Aargersi is right on. Additionally, when I make white bean soup I roast califlower, onions and fennel and add that to the soup when it is ready. Really adds a wonderful dimension.

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I have one that's posted on my blog...it might give you a few ideas...key ingredient is mint!
http://inpatskitchen.blogspot...

C1f1c9c9 4ee8 480d b079 4d19c38b400a  cimg0525

this is exactly what I was looking for ... thanks, Pat!

Estimate how much your ham bone weighs. Sweat equal weights of carrots, onions and celery in a large soup pot with enough oil to cover the bottom (mine is usually 3 lb each). Add 6 quarts cooked great northern beans (in Cincinnati they sell them pre-cooked in big jars at Kroger) and the ham bone. Simmer slowly 3-4 hrs or until the meat falls off the bone. Add 3 28 oz cans stewed tomatoes and heat through. It gets better every day.