I'd like to make a vegetarian version of a ham and navy bean soup that used to be one of my favorites. Any suggestions for a vegetarian substitution for ham hock? Other ingredients for the soup are navy beans, yellow onions (a lot!), garlic, parsley, thyme, bay leaves, carrots, lemon, salt and pepper.

asked by sgoldsbo almost 8 years ago

liquid smoke and some veggie oil. Read the info for vegetarian version at the bottom of the recipe at this link http://www.gumbopages.com/food/red-beans.html#veggie

I like to add tamari and/or miso to vegetarian dishes - I think it adds a sort richness that emulates meatiness

Crank up the umami! Miso paste or a hunk of parmigiano Reggiano rind would lend a really great flavor to the beans. (cheese is vegetarian, no?)

lastnightsdinner

I love adding a little smoked paprika in meatless dishes in place of ham or bacon.

Queen of Spoons

I find that just a little bit of a canned chipotle pepper - or even just a bit of the adobo sauce from the can adds a nice smoky hint when I'm dropping ham or bacon out of a recipe for vegetarians.

matt_walsh

bacos

spiffypaws

When I go veg., I add some garbonzo beans in place of the ham and hot smoked paprika.

Eggplayer

I'm thinking that Tofurky Kielbasa chopped up fine might be a good substitution to get that "pork" flavor for your bean soup.

veghead

There is something called Fakin' Bacon. Don't let the name fool you - it isn't one of those awful processed fake meat products. It is essentially smoked tempeh strips. I add it to soups and stews all the time to give it a smoky flavor that is sometimes missing in veg dishes.