A recipe calls for "golden balsamic vinegar" can I use " white " instead... No store carries it around here.

asked by rebeccajoan over 4 years ago
3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I think so.

I am assuming you mean white balsamic.

If I were going to make a substitution, I would not recommend white vinegar. Go for traditional balsamic vinegar. I have no idea of what "Golden Balsamic" tastes like, but I guarantee it doesn't taste like white vinegar. You can find balsamic in any supermarket. Better still, go to any gourmet shop to find an array of vinegar. If you are going to take your cooking to the next level, you have to properly equip your kitchen. You also want to get familiar with Penzey Spices which are available online. The supermarket spices won't cut it in terms of potency.

Chef Carl - http://www.youtube.com...

89cff386 d79f 43cc 8ef2 108b80f46733  munch2

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I have something called "Italian Golden Balsamic Style Vinegar" which I picked up on impulse without reading the label. It turned out to be decolorized and sweetened grape juice and red wine vinegar, from Italy! Hardly balsamic, and the only gold is the profit of the sneaky producer and importer. Yes, there is white balsamic, and of course traditional red balsamic, but it could be that "golden" is nothing but fools-gold-food! So yes, use something real.
You might want to check this information on White Balsamic -- http://www.vigo-alessi...
From reading this, I am not sure that White Balsamic Vinegar is made by the same process as the original Balsamic, which is actually made starting with white grapes.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

I *think* white balsamic is the same as golden. Golden balsamic is made from the same grapes as the traditional version but with a slightly different process and it's not aged nearly as long, both factors give it a lighter color and lighter flavor.

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Substitute a good quality white _wine_ vinegar. (Not white vinegar - which should only be used for cleaning windows and poaching eggs).

Depending on the recipe you could consider apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar.

I disagree about subbing balsamic, as the colour may affect the outcome. Most balsamic vinegars (white or not) aren't worth the food colouring and corn syrup they're made with - to get a good one you need to spend $$$ and go to a specialty store.