A question about a recipe: Buttermilk Barley Bread

E1f0895b c8fb 444f 8dc1 e9c28ff16f5d  barley buttermilk bread

I have a question about the ingredient "½ cup (54 grams) rolled barley flakes" on the recipe "Buttermilk Barley Bread" from AntoniaJames.
I want to make this bread tomorrow and can't find barley flakes anywhere. Can I substitute rolled oats for it?

asked by Suzanne M over 6 years ago

They are very similar, so it should work well. Observe the wet/dry character of the dough in case there is an absorption difference.

Suzanne M

Thanks so much. Can't wait to make it!

As susan g says, yes, the oats will work just fine. To monitor the hydration (absorption of the liquids into the dry ingredients), I always let my doughs with oats, barley flakes, nine-grain cereal, etc. rest for at least two 10-minute periods during the kneading process. BTW, this recipe was derived from my Buttermilk Oatmeal Bread. ;o)

Suzanne M

Thanks so much! I've been making a honey-wheat bread for years, but your recipe sounds so good, I have o try it! By the way, where do you get barley flakes?

For barley flakes, try a health food store with a good bulk selection. If you don't see it, they may be able to order it for you. I like to vary my breakfast cereal, hot or granola, so I have several varieties of flakes on hand.