🔕 🔔

How do I make a good Chinese Chicken and Sweetcorn Soup?

asked by @adtrainz about 7 years ago

This is one I have made for years based loosely on the recipe in one of my first Chinese cookbooks, Wallace Yee Hong's The Chinese Cookbook, given to me by a Chinese physicist friend. Prep is easy and the actual cooking shouldn't take much more than 5 minutes. You don't want to overcook the chicken.

Put 2 scallions, a slice or two of fresh ginger and 1 T. dry sherry in 6 c. canned chicken broth and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer and cook while you do the rest of the prep.

Cut 1 - 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts into thin shreds. Toss with 1 T. soy sauce, 1 T. dry sherry and 1 T. cornstarch. Let stand at room temp.

Whirl 2 cans creamed corn in a blender or food processor until creamy.

Cut 2 - 3 scallions into thin slices

Mix 2 T. cornstarch with 4 T. water

Beat 2 eggs until the gel is broken up, but not thoroughly mixed.

(mince a couple of tablespoons of Smithfield ham and/or water chestnuts if you want)

Pull the scalliions and ginger out of the broth and bring the broth to a boil. Add the chicken and cook until just opaque. (The broth may not come to a boil before the chicken is done.) Add the corn (and optional water chestnuts and ham) and continue to heat the soup until it comes back to a boil.

Add the cornstarch, little by little, stirring after each addition until the soup is slightly thickened. (I'm pretty vague about the amount of cornstarch. I just wing it.)

Stir the soup so it is moving in a circle around the pot. Slowly pour in the eggs. Stir gently.

Check the seasoning and add salt, pepper or soy sauce as needed. Add a teaspoon or two of sesame oil, stir in the sliced scallions, saving a few to garnish the top of the soup if desired.

Check out Chinese cookbooks or web sites for Scallion Pancakes. They're one of the best things I know to go with corn soup—except maybe steamed buns. Yum.