A question about a recipe: Creamy Goat Cheese Grits

I have a question about the recipe "Creamy Goat Cheese Grits" from merrill. Are (dry) grits the same as coarse cornmeal? I have not seen grits in the grocery store.

Edab1c11 62e7 4162 8de8 1183c0d9c4af  2018 0118 creamy goat cheese grits 3x2 julia gartland 7240
Recipe question for: Creamy Goat Cheese Grits

Merrill Stubbs January 16, 2012

Yellow grits are essentially the same as coarse cornmeal, while white grits are corn (or hominy) ground without the husks. You can definitely use coarse cornmeal for this recipe -- it will be delicious! But make sure you cook it long enough, as it may take a while longer to get tender (just add more liquid as you go if it starts to get too thick).

Helen's All Night Diner
Helen's All Night Diner January 16, 2012

You may need to look for them with the hot cereal in the grocery store. I love grits and make them frequently.

pierino January 16, 2012

...or you can order real grits from Old School Mill in North Carolina. This is the real stuff. Unless you live in the deep south you are not going to see grits on your supermarket shelves. Go to oldschool.com

Louisa
Louisa January 16, 2012

...also Weisenberger Mil in Midway, KY has stone ground grits, yellow or white for sale online.