🔕 🔔

"Italian Herb Seasoning" - It's in a recipe I'm trying; I've never bought/used the stuff. What's its equivalent in fresh herbs? Thank you.

;o)

asked almost 6 years ago

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Thyme, oregano, basil, sometimes rosemary.

If you are cooking you can't go wrong because fresh herbs flavor diminishes quickly
If raw go easy on rosemary but oregano and parsley you can be liberal with

Yes basil too

Efa0c62a 5987 4bba a194 afbfeb638c77  cook better thanfb profile

Depending on what you are making the add cost of fresh herbs may not be worth the time and price. Really good dry Italian spice blend can be good in the right thing. I love the one from Badia.

Thanks, everyone. My fresh herbs are growing in pots outside my kitchen (except parsley, which I always have on hand, and basil, but I put up my own pesto to use in the wintertime) so the relative cost is not really an issue for me. I'll keep Badia in mind though, in case I ever need to buy a dried blend. ;o)

Dried oregano, and dried basil are the key components but it may also include powdered garlic. Believe me, in Italy they don't use "Italian" seasoning.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

If you have Herbes de Provence, you can use that.