🔕 🔔

Do avocados freeze well?

I have a box of avocados that I can't finish before they go bad. Do they freeze well? Do I need to do anything special to them?

asked by Meatballs&Milkshakes over 5 years ago

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Pureed avocados freeze well if you include an acidic agent, lime or lemon juice, when you are pureeing them.
Best results with pureed, not cut, mashed, whole or chopped.

Meanwhile, place in the refigerator to retard ripening. Separate if possible.

164ae6cf b233 45ae a461 8d7543fae705  melissa mitchell

Thank you for asking and answering this question. I have always wondered, and will now waste avocados no more!

They'll be fine if you want them for guacamole or sauces. The texture doesn't survive for use as slices or chunks, like in salads or sandwiches. Peel, seed and coat with lemon/lime juice, then put the halves into a zippy bag. But again, don't expect firm, satiny avocado slices when thawed.