I just saw an ad for frozen avocado.

This is a new one to me. How do they hold up to freezing and what can or can't they be used for? I don't plan on buying a commercial version but as someone who is somewhat challenged in the area of predicting if a given avocado will be edible on a given day the concept of them waiting in the freezer for me completely ripe is appealing.

Susan W December 30, 2016

Yes, I do it all the time and it works!! You can use them after defrosting just as you'd use any avocado. Defrost while still in the plastic wrap. Here's how.

http://www.californiaavocado.com/blog/september-2015/how-to-freeze-california-avocados

Also, you can refrigerate whole avocados to extend their life at any phase of ripening.

ktr
ktr December 30, 2016

I've done this also. They hold up remarkably well in the freezer. I didn't brush mine with lemon juice so they turned a little bit brown but definitely still edible.

Cav
Cav December 30, 2016

Lemon juice wouldn't have affected the browning at all. An avocado browning, like an apple, comes from oxidisation, and the only way to prevent that is to not expose the cut fruit to air for any length of time.

HalfPint December 30, 2016

I haven't had the commercially frozen avocados, but given that ~85% of an avocado is fat, I think it should freeze very well. Use them wherever you like.

caninechef
caninechef January 3, 2017

Thanks for the info, I will try this soon.