🔕 🔔

I'm in Germany, but I'm from America. I want to cook something for my host family. Any recommendations?

Keep in mind that I can't buy certain ingredients over here. (Like avocados) I'm going to a farmer's market tomorrow, too.

asked by lunalovegood almost 4 years ago

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Check out this past hotline question: http://food52.com/hotline...

German tastes are not dissimilar to American ones and a lot of great American classics have German roots. I wouldn't try to serve them tacos though. You can of course find franfurters easily and possibly dress up a hot dog Chicago style; dragged through the garden. Onion, tomato, cucumber, pickle, mustard, some version of pickled hot pepper (in Chicago these are called sport peppers, kind of on the mild side). Absolutely no ketchup.

Some 'American' dinner ideas:
-fried chicken, mash potatoes w/ gravy, and biscuits
-chili con carne, cornbread
-pot roast
-meatloaf
-bbq chicken or ribs
-pulled pork
One thing to remember - Northern Europeans are not big on spicy heat. So if you decide to make chili, make it really mild.

Round out the meal with apple pie.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

Above all, make food you like to eat. If you're not a meatloaf person, don't make meatloaf. An English teacher once told me, "writers write best about what they know." The same applies to cooking. Make something you know and love.

The Casserole Article had me thinking about some more ideas for your dinner:

- Chicken and Dumplings, http://thepioneerwoman...

- Chicken Spaghetti, here's a recipe without the canned soups,http://thepioneerwoman...

-Baked Mac N'Cheese, http://www.marthastewart...

ATL

I lived in Munich many years ago. Given the time of year, you might consider recreating your traditional Thanksgiving dinner. A group of American friends of mine did this and invited our German friends. If I remember correctly, we had done problem finding the turkey and cranberry sauce but triumphed in the end. It is a warm memory.

ATL

"Some problem" not "done problem"--sorry.

496e7c44 98d9 4eba 99b7 3bc1f865f816  screen shot 2013 04 12 at 12.45.52 pm

If you enjoy making pies you could always do a chicken pot pie with an apple pie for dessert.