Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Question about condensed milk...

I am going to make a recipe for mac and cheese with cauliflower tonight and it calls for condensed milk. I am only familiar with the super sweet variety, which I would imagine, would taste too sweet with mac and cheese. The recipe doesn't specify "sweentened" at all, so shoudl I assume it is, or perhaps should I try condensed milK or something less sweet?

asked by heatmatt almost 5 years ago
07c808b7 76a9 4752 ae1f cfa66c1e1a1b  img 3447

would NOT use condensed milk..my guess is that yer recipe writer was either crazy or made the mistake of saying condensed milk instead of EVAPORATED.

32fb3935 151a 4db2 ac26 980d4c0d5cea  lorigoldsby

The difference between the two is there is sugar in the condensed milk. Not knowing which recipe you are using...the only reason I can guess they would call for the condensed milk is if they are trying to disguise the taste of overcooked cauliflower? If its not roasted to produce a natural carmelized sweetness, it can be bitter if overcooked. Sometimes cooks who advocate "hiding" veggies in kids' foods, resort to tricks like this.

A7132580 ab6d 4637 9b1a ed4f3f514400  scplogoblog

I've gotten out of using evaporated or condensed milk, trying to stay away from things that are pre-processed. You can make your own by simmering milk or cream gently until it starts to thicken (about 1/2 hour, without sugar for evaporated, with sugar for condensed, might need to simmer longer). Just as an aside, I use regular milk or cream when i make mac 'n cheese, in your recipe you probably can too.