Can I make Mac and cheese without a roux

I ran out of flour but want to make Mac and cheese for dinner tonight. I have a block of velveeta and some aged cheddar. Can I melt the velveeta in milk and butter and add a good amount of grated cheddar into the mixture? Do you think it will thicken enough?

asked by Gabriela 16 days ago

Emma Laperruque
Emma Laperruque

Food Writer & Recipe Developer at Food52

Hi Gabriela! This recipe by our co-founder Amanda Hesser skips the roux and uses only cheddar and milk: https://food52.com/recipes.... (Plus, it's in a sheet pan!)

Sorry, I know this is late, but I just saw your question. You can also cook the pasta in the milk, and without draining it, stir in the butter (which effectively backs into the idea of a roux because of the liberated starches in the milk), stir in the cheese, season it to taste, then pour into a casserole, top with some grated cheese, and bake for about 10 minutes at 400.