🔕 🔔

What to do with 15lbs of Venison

I was gifted twenty pounds of Venison for Christmas. So far, I've made carne guisada, English style roast with juniper, and Bolognese sauce. What else should I make?

asked by Hilarybee almost 6 years ago

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

What cuts do you have? I was just eyeing my stash, a loin and some ground, and thinking about chili (of course) and the loin is really good marinated in red wine and garlic, then grilled on rosemary stick skewers.

67da29df 0253 44dd 98a1 250b49e519a4  hilary sp1

I've got a two pound loin and a small one pound loin; an 8 pound roast, 2 pounds of ground and two venison steaks. All frozen.

C6cf0a36 7a70 4e78 89a8 47ca71ae8b93  workshop40918 106

How about a venison pie made with a hot water crust?

Braised it's good with wine and cherries. I first tasted it this way in Umbria and then did my best to recreate it in Denver for friends. Inspired by a Mario Batali ragu recipe I also cooked elk in Seattle when I was handed a big slab and challenged to cook it for the next evening's dinner. Good over tagliatelle.

3274dd01 68df 403c a7b7 dc04541caaf8  dsc 0102 2

Oh man, I've had venison with cherries once before and I agree, it's delicious!

I like to marinate it (my favorite is a Korean marinade) and grill it like you would a steak.

07ee6775 4f67 4ff5 aa78 ae7249feebc7  image003

We do this often and it's so delicious. Slice the loin into medallions about half an inch thick. Rub with sesame oil and grind on some black pepper. Meanwhile sprinkle a cast iron skillet with coarse sea salt and heat over high heat til it is almost ready to start smoking. Drop in the medallions and sear for 1 to 2 minutes on the first side, flip when the meat releases easily from the pan. Sear the other side. - leave 'em rare in the middle. Serve as is or top with a little bleu cheese or butter. Really good with roasted sweet potatoes and sauteed greens! Yum...

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I'll let you know what we end up doing. Red wine & cherries is definitely on the list. I think I might also try the New Englandah burger with venison, probably minus the bacon. We'll see.