What to do with 15lbs of Venison

I was gifted twenty pounds of Venison for Christmas. So far, I've made carne guisada, English style roast with juniper, and Bolognese sauce. What else should I make?

aargersi January 22, 2012

What cuts do you have? I was just eyeing my stash, a loin and some ground, and thinking about chili (of course) and the loin is really good marinated in red wine and garlic, then grilled on rosemary stick skewers.

Hilarybee
Hilarybee January 22, 2012

I've got a two pound loin and a small one pound loin; an 8 pound roast, 2 pounds of ground and two venison steaks. All frozen.

Kate McDermott-Art of the Pie

How about a venison pie made with a hot water crust?

pierino January 22, 2012

Braised it's good with wine and cherries. I first tasted it this way in Umbria and then did my best to recreate it in Denver for friends. Inspired by a Mario Batali ragu recipe I also cooked elk in Seattle when I was handed a big slab and challenged to cook it for the next evening's dinner. Good over tagliatelle.

Rachel Sanders
Rachel Sanders January 22, 2012

Oh man, I've had venison with cherries once before and I agree, it's delicious!

JoannaZ
JoannaZ January 22, 2012

I like to marinate it (my favorite is a Korean marinade) and grill it like you would a steak.

Homemadecornbread
Homemadecornbread January 22, 2012

We do this often and it's so delicious. Slice the loin into medallions about half an inch thick. Rub with sesame oil and grind on some black pepper. Meanwhile sprinkle a cast iron skillet with coarse sea salt and heat over high heat til it is almost ready to start smoking. Drop in the medallions and sear for 1 to 2 minutes on the first side, flip when the meat releases easily from the pan. Sear the other side. - leave 'em rare in the middle. Serve as is or top with a little bleu cheese or butter. Really good with roasted sweet potatoes and sauteed greens! Yum...

Hilarybee
Hilarybee January 23, 2012

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I'll let you know what we end up doing. Red wine & cherries is definitely on the list. I think I might also try the New Englandah burger with venison, probably minus the bacon. We'll see.