The pie emoji is coming! Hear how we helped change history. »
🔕 🔔

kale in smoothies

I like adding kale to my smoothies, but I sometimes have a harder time finding the lacinato (or dinosau kale) variety, which is what I prefer. Has anyone ever used the regular/curlier kale variety in something like a smoothie that requires a smoother texture?

asked by ATG117 about 5 years ago
67da29df 0253 44dd 98a1 250b49e519a4  hilary sp1

I use whatever kale/spinach I have on hand. I think the key is to blend it until completely smooth and no kale bits are visible. I haven't noticed a difference in taste or texture when using different kale. Kale smoothie tastes different than spinach, but as for the texture, I haven't noticed anything.

I generally use a frozen banana and/or almond butter to add a smoother texture to the smoothie. My recipe:

Wholefoods user icon

I agree with Hilarybee, any type of kale will work! I like to add raw cacoa powder, a banana and coconut milk to give it a good, creamy texture. And it's smooth and delicious!

I'm new to kale but really love it!! Do you cook the kale first or use raw?

bac

I drink a kale and spinach smoothie every morning. Any raw kale will work. I think the key is adding some fibrous fruit to make it smooth and creamy. And blend on high for a long time. Good options are banana, apple, strawberries and mango. I also add celery, cucumber and carrots to amp up the nutrition