What do you like serve hummus with?

Normally I serve it with homemade pita bread, but I am making it for a party. The guest list is over 45 now, and my pita bread recipe only makes 12 pitas. I'm not sure I'm inclined to make such a large amount of pita bread. How else would you serve the hummus? Veggies? crackers?

sexyLAMBCHOPx January 24, 2012

You could stuff or spread on cucumber shells or rounds. Served with crudites are nice & simple. Maybe make a tzaziki dip as well.

allans
allans January 24, 2012

I enjoy it with a thin tortilla chip, preferably blue corn. It must be a thin chip,though. not those heavy thick type.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Baby carrots and sliced red pepper are great additions as well! Add a guacomole dip if you can and you I think you will have a lot of pleased partiers!

a Whole Foods Market Customer

one of my favorite crudite vegetables that is often overlooked is the Belgian endive. Great texture and flavor. I love it especially with thr Roasted Red pepper hummus

amysarah January 24, 2012

Homemade pita sounds delicious - but understand not wanting to deal making so much. One alternative is sprucing up store bought ones - done this many times to serve with hummus or a cannellini/lemon version I make. Basically just homemade pita chips, but 100X better than the packaged ones: cut pitas in 6-8 wedges, toss with a little olive oil, coarse salt, black pepper and little dried oregano (or thyme or rosemary instead, if you prefer.) Spread pieces on a pan and toast in a 375 oven for 10-15 minutes, until lightly brown. Keeps a couple of days in an airtight container (if you're less lazy than me, you can briefly rewarm before serving.)

nutcakes
nutcakes January 26, 2012

I agree with this approach. Storebought is the way to go for your situation, and toasting them yourself (as opposed to the generaly nasty storebought toasted ones) is delicious. I also agree with others who say to put some veggie dippers out as well. I don't mind crackers, such as Ak-maks. Look around for a MidEast store for best quality pita's; sometimes Indian stores carry them too.

bigpan
bigpan January 24, 2012

I add some Moroccan spice on top as a garnish and serve with warm pita pieces.

Sam1148 January 24, 2012

The Frozen Naan Bread...sold at a Indian market near me.
I have made it before...but their freezer product is fantastic. Just brush it with Ghee and grill or broil to get some better char grill crisp to it. Perfect. And if I can find that in central Alabama, you shouldn't have a problem.

ubs2007
ubs2007 January 24, 2012

i LOVE hummus with celery sticks for the texture and taste. I always find hummus to be a bit dense so the celery lightens it up and enhances the flavor.

skittle
skittle January 25, 2012

I love hummus on baked potatoes actually!

cranberry
cranberry January 26, 2012

I like it with Trader Joe's masala flavored naan. Delish.

Nancy August 7, 2016

Late to the party, I know.
But just took the trouble to serve hummus warm, as is often done in restaurants...and it was great! More flavor than when it's cold (which I confess to doing in a rush).
Other go-withs:
-pita, home made or good store bought
-pickles (aka hamutzim)
-parsley or cilantro
-grilled or roasted vegetables
-tahina sauce (paste with lemon juice, water, garlic, parsley)
-pine nuts, roasted or raw

MMH
MMH August 7, 2016

Radishes,green onion, radicchio &love it on homemade chicken shawarma with roasted red onions (ny times recipe)