🔕 🔔

My Basket ()

All questions

Food color for cake is different from food color in the icing..

I want to make a cake which has like a pink color in it..i have never prepared cakes with food color, so which brand is good and what should i look into while buying one. And, whether or not the same food color can be used in frosting also...if making a butter cream ..

asked by PistachioDoughnut over 5 years ago
4 answers 3918 views
3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

hardlikearmour is a trusted home cook.

added over 5 years ago

For the frosting it'll be better to use a paste food coloring. Brand shouldn't matter much - I usually use CK, but Wilton will probably be more available and I've had good success with it. You should be able to tint the cake with it as well.

5590ce29 aa2e 417c 94ba 2fbc61134171  174060 100000008404888 3554258 n
added over 5 years ago

I use the Wilton paste also, and the nice thing is they offer pink as well as red, and the pink is different than just using less red--I think the pink is a rosier color.

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

Suzanne is a trusted source on General Cooking.

added over 5 years ago

I like to use gel food coloring the color is more intense than the food coloring you find in the supermarket. The same food coloring can be used for both the cake and frosting. I just looked at one bottle and its made by Americolor I use the red to make pink you only need a few drops and can easily control how intense you want your color. I also have Spectrum gel color. Both in my opinion are good.

7c4e3778 a9ef 4b22 a4b5 bb759212c530  dsc 6356
added over 5 years ago

Thanks everyone ! I would look for Wilton ! Will upload the pic after feb 14th ..

Let's Keep in Touch!

Get the recipes and features that have us talking, plus first dibs on events and limited-batch products.

(Oh, and $10 off your order of $50 or more in the Food52 Shop, too.)

Please enter a valid email address.