pork with hatch chili peppers

does anyone have a good recipe or method for cooking pork with hatch chili peppers?
we were north of Denver late summer freshly roasted and couldn't resist: everyone on line was waxing poetic
they've been frozen, awaiting a great recipe
additionally, ideas for getting the skins off appreciated

• Posted by: fuhsi
  • January 26, 2012

jmburns
jmburns January 26, 2012

If they roasted the skins should come right off.

fuhsi
fuhsi January 26, 2012

thanks for answering, but have another question- you mean when they're defrosted it should be easy/they naturally will come off?

jmburns
jmburns January 26, 2012

Yes the roasting process then bagging steams the skin off. You may find that most of skin is already off when you defrost. When roasting my own I develop a char then bag them in a paper bag the skin falls off.

pierino January 26, 2012

Part of the purpose of roasting is to dispose of the skins. But a little bit of excess charred skin is kind of attractive on the plate. Also note that pepper to pepper, Hatch chiles are wildly unpredictable in heat level. Appearance is no indicator as two that look identical could taste hot or hotter. But that's what makes them fun.

aargersi January 26, 2012

As far as cooking - I would brown some cubed pork loin, then remove, then sweat some onions and garlic with some cumin, then I would add the pork back in with the chilis, broth, maybe a splash of beer. That's about it - the chilis have such great flavor then don't need a huge supporting staff. You reminded me I have some frozen too!!!

cookinginvictoria
cookinginvictoria January 26, 2012

I agree with aargersi -- hatch chiles are so flavorful, you can't go wrong with a simple preparation. My huevos rancheros recipe on this site (http://food52.com/recipes...) features pork and is a great way to prepare hatch chiles. Also, arielleclementine's green chile gravy would be excellent w/ hatch chiles. (http://food52.com/recipes...).. Enjoy your chile feast! P.S. I grew up in Denver, eating copious amounts of hatch chiles. I love, love them!