🔕 🔔

Poached egg over greens...

This might sound odd but my favorite breakfast is a poached egg over greens, any greens. I had a delicious poached egg over frisée with a wonderful vinaigrette. Anyone else ever experiment with this? I'd love suggestions for greens and light dressings. The healthier and flavorful the better. I like green for breakfast!

asked by Karli over 5 years ago

The classic of course is frisee au lardon's with that runny egg on top (use the best, freshest eggs you can find). And lardons are chopped bacon, so for breakfast, why not? You might experiment with different greens, say escarole or cooked down mustards. Knock yourself out.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Totally not odd! Ditto, I love the traditional frisee and bacon--salade lyonnaise--but I've also had great luck with other greens. The slightly sturdy, bitter ones seem to work best. Venus, a restaurant in Berkeley, always has them on their breakfast as well as their lunch menu. Their current description is "2 poached eggs atop a nest of wild mushrooms, tomato, goat cheese, arugula and frisee, with tapenade toast 9.50, add bacon bits for 1.00 extra."

Sounds delicious and now I want to try it! Maybe an egg over sweet butter greens with a raspberry vinaigrette

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

Dandelions when you can get them!

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Italians like a poached egg over fresh steamed asparagus. I often serve it as a dinner appetizer.

Yum, bigpan! The Flemish like something like that too--or they did when I lived there 30-some years ago. We'd mash butter, lemon juice, and softly hard-boiled eggs together and serve it over newly harvested, peeled, steamed white asparagus. They liked it so much that we made trips to the asparagus farm every few days and eat it--with nothing else--for dinner.

32fb3935 151a 4db2 ac26 980d4c0d5cea  lorigoldsby

Don't forget baby spinach and in the spring, sautéed ramps with mushrooms!

36d1c019 905f 429c ad2d 5c540133cb97  377493 2595222114313 238914270 n

Love spinach with eggs. I sauté my spinach with some oil and then, put it in a small ramekin. Then, I gently crack an egg on the top, drizzle some olive oil and some salt and pepper. I put the ramekin in a water bath and gently poach it for 8-10 minutes. And if time permits, some shaved parmesan cheese on the top caps it all!

Or goat cheese and the spinach!