How many ways are there to cook eggs?

I love eggs. Eggs are my definitive breakfast. Poached, fried, scrambled, boiled. What other ways are there to cook them?

asked by Enfer about 3 years ago

scruz

depends on whether or not you want to be ethnocentric. : )

Enfer

I'm open minded

A typical traditional cooking school will say that there are about 12-16 cooking methods (in addition to the methods you mentioned: sauteing, baking, braising, stewing, gratinating, etc.).

Eggs are very versatile and can pretty much be cooked by any of these methods.

I suggest you visit your library and read a bunch of 50-150 year old French cookbooks. That should pretty much cover the range of Western egg cooking techniques.

Good luck.

I will point out that scrambled eggs aren't being cooked any differently than a sunny-side up egg. The ingredients are scrambled but the cooking method is the same.

You will have to decide for yourself if the total dish preparation is the defining limitor or if it is the cooking method itself.

That said, there is probably no hard numerical answer. It could be in the thousands or possibly the dozens. In the end, what does it really matter if there are forty ways to cook eggs or four thousand, as long as you cook your eggs the way you want them cooked.

scruz is right in mentioning ethnocentricity. Are you looking at this question from a Larousse Gastronomique point of view?

Enfer

Oh, my! Well, I'm pretty sure my local library does not have any french books. Even less a 150 year old cookbook (yes, it's a very small library), but usually the internet's got my back. I'll get myself to research. Possibilities seem high! Thanks for this eye-opener! :D

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

My guess would be that Enfer is just looking for some new ideas for cooking his eggs.

Enfer, you can pickle them, too. I never have, but perhaps someone with experience with that could weigh in. Also you can bake them, of course. Baking eggs can open up a lot of possibilities for you if it hasn't already: quiches, tarts, frittatas, etc. Here's a delicious recipe for a spinach mini pizza topped with an egg, which all gets baked in the oven together: http://smittenkitchen.com...

I love eggs too - have fun!

Enfer

Thanks! The "pizzatte" sounds so easy and good, I'll sure make it for dinner sometime this weekend. You made me want some baked eggs this morning!

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

For cooking his or her eggs, that is...

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Your welcome! That spinach-creme fraiche-parm mixture is a great little module that can be applied deliciously to other things, btw - it's great with pasta, for example. Also, I think in the recipe she has you crack the eggs directly o to the pizzettes, but for me that led to a LOT of egg white spillage onto my pizza stone - I would instead crack them individually into small bowls and pour the eggs gently onto the pizzettes from the bowls. You might already have the foresight to think of that but I learned the hard way so I thought I'd mention it.

Here's a fun and delicious take on a hard boiled egg. I've added them to salads, Asian soups or fried rice (delicious in Jean-Georges' fried rice) and just as is.
https://food52.com/recipes...

Garlic Fiend

Don't forget steamed! Beat eggs and add water and/or broth. I like to add a bit of ground pork and shrimp for flavor. Salt, sesame oil. Mix. Steam. You'll end up with a soft flan-like textured egg dish. Chinese comfort food

Jona @AssortedBites

I love steamed eggs, great suggestion :)

Jona @AssortedBites

There are different ways even to fry an egg. I really like the crispy fried egg for example, where you put the egg into a really got ban with oil (butter is best) and fry them until the edges become crispy.

And I have heard of a fluffy egg where you basically beat the whites until they are stiff, put the egg yolk in the middle and bake them. Haven't tried them myself yet but they looked incredible.

Jona @AssortedBites

Into a really hot* pan*

TobiT

I once heard that a chef's toque traditionally has 133 pleats (or some such number) is to symbolize the number of ways to cook an egg. I wonder if anyone on here can confirm this?

I've heard a version of that story too...that each fold represented the 100 ways to cook an egg and that to earn the chef's toque someone had to prove he could make them all.
Jacques Pepin, unfortunately, debunks that idea:
http://www.bonappetit.com...

Or try Scotch eggs (hard boiled, coated with sausage and bread crumbs, then usually fried).
http://www.theguardian...

miss jane

Michael Ruhlman's book "Egg" will answer your question perfectly.

MelissaHM

My brother just showed me today how to make his cheesy eggs: instead of using oil, put some chopped parmesan (or some other cheese) in a skillet or pan, and when it starts to melt, crack a few eggs over them and let them fry in the cheese's oils. When they're done, you'll have a beautiful, salty, cheesy crust on the bottom that just tastes amazing with the creaminess of the eggs.

caninechef

I suggest looking to veggies to add some breakfast variation. Mushrooms and shallots, tomatoes, spinach and I am lots more. These go well with many classic ways to prep eggs, the combinations are endless.

nancy essig

Michel Roux has a great cookbook out , aptly named "eggs"

max jaffa

Properly is the only way with the freshest eggs possible.
Take a dozen day old eggs and crack into a bowl. Fill another bowl with ice and water.
Fill a saute pan 3/4 full with plain water, bring to a gentle simmer, set a timer for two minutes, the eggs must be at room temp. Slide eggs into the water, then after two quickly remove and place in the iced water. They will be firm enough to handle and the perfect shape after you have removed the feathery fringe.
Return to the cold water and keep in the fridge till you want them. Then heat in simmering water for 60 seconds. Drain on kitchen towel and serve.