A question about a recipe: Orange Ricotta Pillows with Lillet Kumquat Compote

8df5eb31 755a 402d b66d 7899e12d00a5  food52 01 24 12 0901

I'm thinking about making your recipe for a brunch I'm hosting this weekend. Any recommendations for a non-alcoholic substitution for the lillet -- or would too much be lost in the balance of the sauce? Lovely, lovely recipe, by the way!

asked by EmilyC almost 7 years ago

TheWimpyVegetarian

I keep thinking about your question, Emily. I've made this a bunch of times using different wines, but never without the wine at all. I'm inclined to say add the same amount of simple syrup of 2 parts water to 1 part sugar, but I'll be honest I haven't actually tried it. I'm tempted to say infuse the simple syrup with a little mint too - just a little. But let me continue to think about it tonight and post more tomorrow. I'm honored you'd want to serve this at your brunch :-)

EmilyC

Thanks Suzanne! I know it's not an easy question, and I do hope to follow your recipe to the letter for another occasion because the lillet sauce sounds really delicious. I like your idea about the simple syrup infused with mint. Perhaps a little lime or lemon for extra acidity? If nothing else, it'll be fun to taste and tinker to get the balance right. If you have other ideas, please share them! Thanks again.

I was thinking orange juice infused with some mint. Wonder what Suzanne would think of that as a sub. I always serve Lillet with an orange slice.

TheWimpyVegetarian

I like ChefJune's idea of adding some orange juice infused with the mint in a simple syrup. I'd love to hear what you come up with in your tinkering!