🔕 🔔

I was given a small Tagine pot with no instructions. What is the right way to cook with it? It is terra cotta with a glaze?

Thank you.

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 5 years ago

A260bd9c 40f3 449a af3d 196e7c0111a0  3 eyes

http://moroccanfood.about...
Here's a link to how to prepare a clay or ceramic tagine with advice from Paula Wolfert. She is the leading expert on Moroccan cooking, has a new book out "The Food of Morocco" as well as several previous ones on the subject including "Mediterranean Clay Pot Cooking" & a cooking group on facebook where you can ask her questions: http://www.facebook.com...

Before first use it's a good idea to soak it in a sink overnight. Use a flame tamer over a gas hub. Heat it up slowly. I have numerous clay pieces and so far I haven't had one crack.

3a87ea80 49e2 4487 80b5 8daf4196d315  eugenia fb

I believe tangines are usually clay or ceramic. Some are glazed and some are unglazed.

You will need to cure it before the first use. The link below shows several different ways to cure a tangine, with helpful photos too! It is from the blog of tangines.com, a website Paula Wolfert suggests too.

http://itagine.wordpress...

Tangines are placed directly on the stove top for cooking. The blog also has some recipes if you're ready to try out your new cookware.

Good luck!

23fc7268 a287 4f41 812b c2bb903ade01  fb avatar

All the advice you have received is terrific and correct. Unfortunately some tagines are not made for traditional stovetop cooking. Would you mind posting a photograph on the Facebook Moroccan Cooking Group site with your query? I might be able to give you the info on your new Tagine. ,
Paula

Paula

Paula

Paula