🔕 🔔

When using whole garlic cloves the more I peel the cloves the more I hate peeling the cloves. Suggestions?

asked by gege 1 over 5 years ago

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Or, pop into a microwave for about 5 seconds and the peel will slip off with no effort.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Or put them all in a covered pan and shake hard.

I smash several at a time with the flat side of a bench scraper. The skin slips off, and the cloves are ready to mince quickly.

C048f274 1004 4b6a 8b50 53bb055a4813  peapod

Here's a video on using two bowls to peel garlic. : http://www.youtube.com...

2b00435b fe24 44bb afe2 ad3364f28f79  1390710 10151917400148928 1193325941 n 1

If you're just doing a few at a time, and you don't want to wake the neighbors banging around garlic between two bowls the easiest and cheapest and safest method is to get a piece of that tacky drawer liner, you know that rubbery stuff you keep mats and rugs from sliding around, and cut it into a 5x5inch square. When you need to peel some garlic place the clove in the middle of the mat, fold over one side and using the palm of your hand, roll the clove in between the mat. It takes off the skin in a jiff and it very cheap and easy. And you feel smart. The smash method is quick, but sometimes you do not want to have a flatten clove of garlic. I have also read and heard horror stories about people cleaving their hand when attempting the smash. Its also hard on your knives.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Amanda and Merrill did a video on this - short and to the point and easy to do! http://www.food52.com/blog...

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I use a good garlic press sometimes, and the whole clove with the peel goes in, with garlic puree coming out. Otherwise I use the 'flat side of the knife, smash' technique -- and you can control how smashed it gets. Next time I have a fresh head of garlic, I will try the two bowl/10 second technique. That was listed on the food52 "top 52" article -- http://www.food52.com/blog.... Looks like fun!

Look for bags of fresh peeled garlic at your ethnic markets. Use what you need now, roast and mash some for use later and then drop the rest into warm olive oil and store in the fridge for 2 weeks. They will soften up and mellow over time,