🔕 🔔

I just bought a food torch, and I'm pretty excited about it. Do people have interesting recipes or ideas about how to use it?

asked by Cristina Sciarra almost 6 years ago

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Blister/roast peppers with it. This idea comes from Droplet who uses her brulee torch on her peppers.

There was an article about molecular gastronomy in the NY Times last week that had a method of preparing salmon in a water bath. It could use searing with the torch instead of the pan, and you could certainly use any sauce, or no sauce, with salmon cooked this way. http://www.nytimes.com...

I read a blog whose author has a sous vide, and she's always torching lovely steaks and fishes for the final touch. I believe she buys prepared duck confit, warms it up, then torches that, too.

It's beautiful to finish a sous vide fish or stake

2b00435b fe24 44bb afe2 ad3364f28f79  1390710 10151917400148928 1193325941 n 1

Obvious answer is creme brulee. Its a classic for a reason. Other uses are to crisp up fish skin. To get some crunchy bits on a prime rib. To toast meringues.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Add your answer here

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I've used a torch on a tart, to darken some of the fruit slice edges (apple, pear.) Looks a bit rustic and adds a little burnt/caramelized flavor. Also, oatmeal - with raisins or other chopped fruit, and/or cinnamon, etc. - is great with a brulee'd crust. Likewise, rice pudding - flavored with a little orange rind, slivered almonds and vanilla, or whatever flavors you prefer - is delicious with a brulee'd top. (And writing this may finally inspire me to replace the butane cartridge, that's been dead for over a year!)

What I use my torch for most frequently is French onion soup. The classic method is not a giant glop of melted cheese on the bowl it's grated gruyere over a toasted crouton. Use the torch to melt a generous amount of cheese on each crouton and place one on each bowl.