Is it essential to get wheat germ? can I add oatmeal instead?

I have a question about the ingredient "½ cup toasted wheat germ" on the recipe "Sour Cream Dinner Rolls" from AntoniaJames.

76cd2404 a8bd 469f b653 93f2188fd047  122010f 1016
Recipe question for: Sour Cream Dinner Rolls

Mr_Vittles
Mr_Vittles February 10, 2012

Maybe...if you ground the oatmeal coarsely. This can be done in a food processor.

AntoniaJames February 10, 2012

Let me go weigh some quick oats and some regular oats to let you know the amount. Either should work. (You need to get the weight approximately correct, or you'll have too many dry ingredients, adversely affecting the results.) Oats won't lend the same nutty flavor that toasted wheat germ does, but they will provide some texture. I think the quick oats will work better. Hold on. I need to leave my office but should be back shortly. ;o)

AntoniaJames February 10, 2012

I am nearly out of wheat germ and both kinds of oats -- I shop on the weekend, generally -- but extrapolating from what I have, I determined that the 1/2 cup of wheat germ should weigh about one ounce. That would be the equivalent of 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon of quick oats, or 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon of regular oats. I'd blitz the regular oats in the food processor to get the texture a bit finer, as Mr_Vittles suggests. ;o)

Viridiana Urena
Viridiana Urena February 10, 2012

Thank you very much, I will start preparing it and I will let you know how it turns out! thanks AntoniaJames and Mr_Vittles