A question about a recipe: Pork Chops with Mushrooms and Port

I have a question about the ingredient "6 tablespoons tawny port, divided (see below)" on the recipe "Pork Chops with Mushrooms and Port" from AntoniaJames.

What is a possible substitute for the 'tawny port' in this recipe?

asked by pmd323 almost 7 years ago

I'd use a red wine that's not too dry, perhaps with a touch of brandy, if you have it (replacing 1/4 of the port with the brandy and the rest with the wine). Others may have some good ideas, too. ;o)

I've not made this particular recipe, but in general, Madeira works well with pork and mushrooms - it's also a fortified wine from Portugal, like tawny port. (A dry sherry might work too.)

amysarah, that's a great suggestion. Not sure why I didn't think of it, but you're absolutely correct. Thanks for chiming in! ;o)