🔕 🔔

Stock ingredients: rabbit, leek, fennel combo?

Preface: not a frequent stock maker here. I have rabbit bones in my freezer and fennel fronds and leek tops in my crisper. Is it crazy to combine all three for stock? If not, I welcome suggestions for other ingredients (red and white onion, garlic, carrots also on hand, and of course many dried herbs).

asked by HeatherM almost 6 years ago

B1ff7c6d 1bd4 41c2 a1a7 c1080efe383f  cathybarrow allrecipes e 2014
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a food preserving expert and author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving.

Rabbit has a very delicate flavor and The fennel may overwhelm. I use onion carrot and thyme. Lovage or parsley leaves are lovely too

Roast the rabbit bones and make a brown rabbit stock.
Roast them until really dark, then roast the vegetables. But add in a tomato, garlic, onion, carrot.
Throw it in a pot with cold water, simmer for 2-4 hours and there you go.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I'm not a huge fan of carrot or tomato in my stock - I find it makes the stock too sweet. I'd definitely add the leek, and may add a small amount of the fennel. I like parsley in my stocks as well.

True, but if you make brown stock, tomato is essential.
If you are making a white stock, leave it out.

Thanks for the input, all!

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

One of my very favorite rabbit recipes has fennel in it, and if you like its taste, I don't think I'd be as wary of it as some others sound. I think that leek, rabbit and fennel would make a great base for a Provencal soup.