Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

I'm making veggie stock but I didn't saute the veggies first. Will it not be as good?

I'm using carrot, celery, leek, fennel, onion, shallot, garlic, thyme, bay leaf and peppercorns. Threw all that in a big pot of water, brought it to a boil and am now simmering. Would it turn out much more flavorful if I chopped the veggies and sauteed first? Also, how long should I simmer? I

asked by CMTerp over 5 years ago
Efd5a623 a9e7 4fee ae46 e9716d40bcbf  pot

No need to sautee veggies first. I always make veggie stock from Carol Gelles' 1,000 Vegetarian recipes. She calls for throwing all the veggies in a pot - it works great. Trick in her recipe is to squeeze all the juice out of the cooked veggies when done (and to cook for a long time.)

B29ffb12 3767 474a b2d1 26ba391dda56  open uri20141012 14087 18wovav

You should be fine. I always save onion, celery, carrot, etc, trimmings and put them in a baggie in the freezer. When I have enough I just dump them with any fresh veggies and aromatics into the crock pot and let it go 24 hours. Sometimes I'll make roasted vegetable stock which is a different critter but not as delicate in flavor. But I've never sautéed my vegetables first because I don't use oil or other fat in my vegetable stock.

496e3e21 39ca 4097 9452 893af2b65dbb  port2

Squeezing is the big trick here! I think sauteeing detracts from the purity of flavours you get from the throw-it-all-in-the-pot method

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

One trick for squeezing the veggies, is to use a potato ricer lined with with a couple of layers of cheese cloth.

Now use my potato ricer more for other things than potatoes. Including squeezing water out of cooked spinach or for making cabbage slaw where you salt, squeeze and rinse the slaw before dressing. (that tech prevents overly watery slaw).

Cef49d72 d554 46db a888 e97e0311e08e  cimg0737

When I make chicken stock, I brown onions, carrots and celery first, but when I make vegetable stock, I like the stock to have the light taste of fresh vegetables, so I follow the rule of throwing all in a pot, adding water to cover and simmering for about 30-40 minutes. I usually use vegetable scraps, some fresh vegetables if I want a specific flavor to be prominent, fresh herbs, and garlic.

8c848bd6 b952 44c4 93c3 bc8465a6fd74  phone 176

When I make stock of any kind at home, I use a pressure cooker. I don't want to waste waste money on letting it simmer for a long time. Bring to pressure for about 30 min. and let cool on the stove. Only use as much water as you want to end up with. There is no reduction necessary. It works out great and is a lot faster. For veg stock, I would leave them fresh or roast them for different flavor. I wouldn't saute them, because I like my stock to be as clear from fat as possible.