What are you making for valentine's day?

For those of us staying in and whipping something up, what's the something special?

asked by JessicaBakes over 6 years ago

jmburns

My wife's favorite dish of mine is my veal stew. That some French bread, a little bottle of wine and some homemade vanilla ice cream for dessert.

Cristina Sciarra

I'm cooking for a Frenchman, so: mushroom velouté, cassoulet, and then a spiced chocolate ice cream (which I'll enter in the current contest!) I'm a little intimidated by the cassoulet; I'm starting it today!

angiegeyser

We celebrated last night while the kids were at grandma and grandpa's house. I made the gruyere and parmesan cheese souffle from epicurious with asparagus simmered with a couple lemon slices for a side.

JoannaZ

We don't necessarily do a special meal (maybe a nice steak dinner if we do), but dessert for the past few years has been a chocolate lava cake. It's one of my favorite things, and it's extra special since we only have it once a year.

Cookie16

Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon. Dessert is to be decided :)

JessicaBakes

Ha! Me too!!

I made a red wine chocolate cake that I'll be posting here shortly for the contest for dessert :)

Rib eye steak with green peppercorns and whiskey (FOOD52), mashed potatoes with ricotta and roasted garlic (variation on a recipe I posted to the mashed potatoes contest), caramelized onion pudding (FOOD52), Caesar salad with pancetta (runner up in the Caesar salad contest), and a chocolate dessert which I'll post on Wednesday! ;o)

Cookie16

Impressive! :)

Tarragon

I'm making Oui Chef's lobster, fennel and chorizo paella, http://www.food52.com/recipes..., except that I'm using rock shrimp instead of lobster, and shrimp stock (from regular shrimp, but which I will simmer with her flavors) instead of the lobster stock. I've started a few of the steps and flavors are amazing! Something chocolate for desert - maybe the genius recipes chocolate mousse. Happy Valentines Day, everyone!

PistachioDoughnut

I am making either of the two veggies, Malai Kofta or Palak Paneer with Naan and Jeera rice with a side dish of curried brussel sprouts. For dessert I am making hidden hearts cupcakes. I am so excited to make hidden heart cupcakes!

Third Floor Kitchen

My all time favorite V-Day dinner was a few years ago when I made Wild Mushroom Risotto from an old issue of Martha Stewart Living magazine. Dessert-wise I served an espresso creme brûlée from Cook's Illustrated. I used homemade stock in the risotto and best quality espresso beans, cream, and eggs in the brûlée. Maybe the magic of the dinner was the guy I was seeing, maybe not, but it was one of those memorable meals that was delicious in flavor, ambience, and company.

No plans for Valentine's Day this year. Just a solitary meal with a dessert of my favorite brownie recipe from the Chicago Tribune Cookbook served with a scoop of coffee ice cream and episodes of Downton Abbey.

Ophelia

Heart shaped gluten-free pizza, with heart shaped salami and lots of goat cheese. And maybe gluten-free peanut butter cookies for dessert. If I'm feeling generous.

I decided at the last minute: Amanda's Sugar & Bourbon steak with a salad composed of roasted then smoked beets, arugula, Purple Haze goat cheese, and toasted walnuts. For dessert a chocolate negrita (based on a recipe from a cute little book called "50 Ways to Feed your Lover.") We'll also be drinking a fabulous sparkling rosé of Malbec called Reginato.

M.McAwesome

Old thread, but what are you making this year for your loves?

I am thinking that genius recipe celery soup for a starter, followed by sauteed greens with some nice pork chops. Possibly some roasted balsamic or burgundy mushrooms on the side.
Followed by something chocolate!

arcane54

Reservations!

Cristina Sciarra

This year, it's The Food Lab's Creamy Chanterelle Mushroom Soup (http://www.seriouseats... Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon; Joël Robuchon's Purée; dark chocolate ice cream; and meringues.

Looking at my response above, I guess the Frenchman's likes are pretty consistent!

M.McAwesome

Oh that mushroom soup sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing the link. :)

butter, sugar, flowers

It's all about the cookies for me! Heart-shaped meringues, marzipan hearts dipped in chocolate, and these tasty cut-out cookies, cut into hearts: http://bit.ly/1jjswbp