🔕 🔔

Wondering if anyone has tried making chocolate mousse the night before serving, did it stay fluffy or did fall and weep?

Trying to figure out the timetable for Christmas morning. Since it doesn't have gelatin, it's whipped egg whites and whipped cream, not sure if it'll hold well for lunch the next day. Any advice would be appreciated!

asked by SouthernSnacker almost 5 years ago

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

This mousse tends to hold pretty well in the fridge, but to be safe, could you make it the morning of? It's pretty simple -- and you could even prep everything the night before.

E90320ca d838 47a5 b93a 7f4bffd39a58  bad idea bears

Thank you so much, that was my instinct, but thought I'd float it by y'all.

16ae6300 9ff8 4d79 92ca ce242875af48  logo fb

I've made chocolate mousse the day before Christmas and served it for lunch the next day. Kristen is right. It does hold up just fine overnight, BUT, it didn't look as "fresh" the next day. I was probably the only person to notice that.

I have an industrial-strength chocolate mousse recipe that will hold up for 4 hours on a buffet line, if necessary, but the difference between 4 hours and overnight is significant. Kristen's suggestion to prep your ingredients the night before is wonderful. And be sure to build in enough time for it to set up for a bit in the fridge before serving.

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

I've actually held mousse (not intentionally -- stuff happened that delayed serving) for two days in the fridge relatively successfully (plastic wrap right on top, directly on the mousse). Tasted great -- didn't notice the "freshness" but then again, I also put a pretty good whipped cream topping on it. Yes, it will keep just fine.

012dfbd1 43d9 417a ae27 f5cd7f65b8fe  img 0736

the herve this chocolate mousse is a great option.

When I got interrupted while making mousse I covered tightly with Saran Wrap and put in the fridge still in the mixing bowl.
The next day I uncovered, whipped for a quick minute and served. It was perfect.