Made the Canal House version of pork braised in milk and the sauce (which has a little butter in it) broke. Anyone have a remedy?

Also wondering how thick/thin this sauce is supposed to be (my first time making it). It seemed thinner than in looked in the photo, but it's hard to tell. Would this be an appropriate place to thicken with a slurry or did I just not reduce it enough?

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

asked almost 7 years ago

babytiger

I don't know Canal House's version, but when I make this dish, the "sauce" looks like brown cottage cheese. It doesn't look good, but those brown nuggets of milk protein taste amazing.

Same thing for me. I haven't made the Canal House version, but another pork braised in milk. I've thought that next time, I'd use cream.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Babytiger, this one calls for only reducing a quart of milk by half, then, pushing the sauce w/ curds through a fine mesh strainer, then whisking to smooth out the texture even more. It sounds like a great idea to me, and it was tasty, but thinner than I'd imagined it would be.