🔕 🔔

Made the Canal House version of pork braised in milk and the sauce (which has a little butter in it) broke. Anyone have a remedy?

Also wondering how thick/thin this sauce is supposed to be (my first time making it). It seemed thinner than in looked in the photo, but it's hard to tell. Would this be an appropriate place to thicken with a slurry or did I just not reduce it enough?

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

asked about 5 years ago
3162c11b e070 4795 95d1 fd9492a6b582  lulusleep

I don't know Canal House's version, but when I make this dish, the "sauce" looks like brown cottage cheese. It doesn't look good, but those brown nuggets of milk protein taste amazing.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Same thing for me. I haven't made the Canal House version, but another pork braised in milk. I've thought that next time, I'd use cream.

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Babytiger, this one calls for only reducing a quart of milk by half, then, pushing the sauce w/ curds through a fine mesh strainer, then whisking to smooth out the texture even more. It sounds like a great idea to me, and it was tasty, but thinner than I'd imagined it would be.