Why does my macaron doesn't have any foot?

I used almond flour, I beat the whites until soft peaks. I tried it thrice and it's still not thick

Voted the Best Reply!

Darlene Carrigan
Darlene Carrigan February 14, 2012

Usually, if you don't have feet with a batch of macarons, it usually means that you have overbeat the almond/sugar/egg white mixture.

When I think the egg whites are at soft peak, I will turn the mixing bowl upside down. If the egg whites do not slide down, it means that the egg whites are ready for the macaronage (mixing of the egg whites with the almond/sugar). As a general rule, I don't tend to fold more than 50 times total. This prevents overbeating.

Also, after you pipe the meringues onto silpat or parchment paper, let the meringue mixture air dry for 30 to 45 minutes. Touch it with your finger tips. If it doesn't stick to finger, it's ready for the oven.

Hope this helps with developing a foot!

Good luck

Rachel Sanders
Rachel Sanders February 14, 2012

I agree, especially about letting the piped macarons sit for a while before baking; I've found this step to be critical to developing a foot.

Fer'sBite
Fer'sBite February 14, 2012

Thanks Darlene. I'll try it again, I beat my eggs for about 5 minutes. I thought the almond sugar mixture might just be too heavy. I guess practice makes perfect right? Thanks again!

Darlene Carrigan
Darlene Carrigan February 15, 2012

I just realized that humidity may be a factor in developing a foot. You may try and pipe smaller amounts and make sure that it is thoroughly "dry" before sticking in oven. Also, if it is humid, you may try a lower oven temp by 20 degrees to 280 F and increase the baking time. When they are done, don't take them out of the oven immediately. Turn off oven, leave door partially open, and let them cool gradually in oven.