🔕 🔔

I'm making tamales for a party. I want to have a veggie option but want to do something more modern then the usual chiles+cheese.

I'm thinking something with greens in it perhaps. I have a favorite way of preparing Swiss Chard (http://www.epicurious.com...) also with Kalamatas but I wonder if that would be too dry in a tamale.

asked by rapearson over 5 years ago

B5d4c31e d9a4 4f0e ae4e ecaa0cf95de6  dsc 0253 2
Miranda Rake

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

I doubt it would be too dry, but depending on the them of the party etc, it might not be what the vegetarians at the party want to eat. If it's a mexican themed dinner I would try to keep the flavors at least somewhat within that palate. These Squash, black bean and goat cheese ones sound pretty good!
http://www.eatingwell.com...

or these bean-y ones from The Kitchn, which are actually vegan :
http://www.thekitchn.com...

Spinach ,cheese with tomate and cilantro. mmm.

1d0d675a 5598 44a5 865e 32730d2a1273  186003 1004761561 1198459 n

Mushroom and rice

Ad89c38b 417e 4f3b 820c d57e4f338fb8  stringio

I'm partial to jalapeno and cream cheese tamales

4005f723 7c30 400e befd 2466083b00cc  open uri20140722 9885 1vabeo4

These are all making me hungry! I'll have to try a few of these fillings on Friday when we make the tamales.

D347253b 88e5 4ba1 ab1b 7b10260231b2  stringio

http://www.hotdamntamales...
Scroll down to read about their veggie options, great ideas for interesting tamales.

My all-time favorite tamale filling is braised bitter greens. I first ate that kind of tamale (actually, a tamalito) from a seller in the Xochimilco market. His were filled with quelites, greens that are indigenous to that area. If I were making tamales, I'd use a combination of Swiss Chard and broccoli rabe to approximate the flavor.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

We have a close friend from Guatemala, and for many years, every Christmas Eve she makes tamales for all her friends. Really a labor of love.

They're different than Mexican - wrapped in plantain leaves, not corn husks. One type she always makes are filled with chicken/peppers in an ancho-ish red sauce... but the other is filled with green olives, raisins, nuts, spices, etc. Very traditional from what I gather, so there must be recipes online. Not overly sweet or dessert-like. Seems like even if there were stock in the traditional sauce, you could adapt it to be vegetarian.

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

My favorite is chiles en nogada. The version I do is roasted poblanos stuffed with marinated portabellos and cashew ricotta, breadcrumb-coated and baked. Then you smother them in a creamy walnut sauce.

43213156 0185 422b 9170 9f95245b0624  chiles en nogada

Anitalectric

(Not tamales, but still Mexican.)