I'm making tamales for a party. I want to have a veggie option but want to do something more modern then the usual chiles+cheese.

I'm thinking something with greens in it perhaps. I have a favorite way of preparing Swiss Chard (http://www.epicurious.com...) also with Kalamatas but I wonder if that would be too dry in a tamale.

asked by rapearson over 6 years ago

Miranda Rake
Miranda Rake

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

I doubt it would be too dry, but depending on the them of the party etc, it might not be what the vegetarians at the party want to eat. If it's a mexican themed dinner I would try to keep the flavors at least somewhat within that palate. These Squash, black bean and goat cheese ones sound pretty good!
http://www.eatingwell.com...

or these bean-y ones from The Kitchn, which are actually vegan :
http://www.thekitchn.com...

nutrition by Lupita Gowman

Spinach ,cheese with tomate and cilantro. mmm.

dymnyno

Mushroom and rice

msigur

I'm partial to jalapeno and cream cheese tamales

rapearson

These are all making me hungry! I'll have to try a few of these fillings on Friday when we make the tamales.

Dona

http://www.hotdamntamales...
Scroll down to read about their veggie options, great ideas for interesting tamales.

My all-time favorite tamale filling is braised bitter greens. I first ate that kind of tamale (actually, a tamalito) from a seller in the Xochimilco market. His were filled with quelites, greens that are indigenous to that area. If I were making tamales, I'd use a combination of Swiss Chard and broccoli rabe to approximate the flavor.

We have a close friend from Guatemala, and for many years, every Christmas Eve she makes tamales for all her friends. Really a labor of love.

They're different than Mexican - wrapped in plantain leaves, not corn husks. One type she always makes are filled with chicken/peppers in an ancho-ish red sauce... but the other is filled with green olives, raisins, nuts, spices, etc. Very traditional from what I gather, so there must be recipes online. Not overly sweet or dessert-like. Seems like even if there were stock in the traditional sauce, you could adapt it to be vegetarian.

Anitalectric
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

My favorite is chiles en nogada. The version I do is roasted poblanos stuffed with marinated portabellos and cashew ricotta, breadcrumb-coated and baked. Then you smother them in a creamy walnut sauce.

Anitalectric
Anitalectric

(Not tamales, but still Mexican.)