non-meat substitute for prosciutto?

I'm making a side dish of chard with pine nuts and gorgonzola. The recipe also calls for a small amount of prosciutto. I was thinking of substituting oil-cured kalamata olives to give it the salty, chewy quality, but I wondered if someone had a better idea?

asked by drkate over 5 years ago

What about a cured fish or gravalax

How about some coarsely grated hard cheese, like parmesan or pecorino romano?

I think your idea of oil cured black olives sounds great - good with all the ingredients. In fact, it might even be better that way!

Anchovies, cooked with the chard will impart a salty, nutty flavor.

yes! also, sweet white miso will give you that same savory-salty-umami thing.

Hilarybee

I think ricotta salata might be nice.

ATG117

I'd leave it out and add in sultanas or unsweetened craisins. Though different than prosciutto, it will add another texture and flavor