What is the best wine to use for cooking when the recipe calls for "white wine"?

This is a baked chicken dish.

asked by Paulette over 6 years ago

AmyRuth

I always use wine I would like to drink.... if that helps you

I typically use a Savignon Blanc aka Fumé Blanc. You're looking for a dry, crisp wine for cooking.

KimW

I keep an unoaked Chardonnay on hand for cooking. Find an inexpensive one that you like and buy a couple of bottles.

usuba dashi

Depends . . for example, a high acidic wine is best to bind anything with cheese (such as a fondue), but will curdle cream instantly. Think of the ingredients to match the wine you cook with. Higher quality wine is not always going to make the dish better, in fact, a cheaper wine that may have a distinct characteristic that gives it an imbalance for drinking, will actual give a kick to the dish you are creating.

If the amounts are significant and the role in the recipe is central, follow the answers already given. If not, I keep a dry and a sweet vermouth as a regular wine stand in. It's a good keeper, and inexpensive.

Melusine

I agree with Susan G - a bottle of dry vermouth is always within reach of my stovetop for deglazing a skillet. There's no guessing on the flavor it will add, it doesn't go bad, so there's no waste.

We don't drink much wine here. So for cooking I get a couple of the little "six packs" of white and red. Which are perfect for cooking..and store very well as a large bottle would go bad for using just a cup or so in a recipe.

cranberry

For chicken, I too would use dry white vermouth. It is unlikely to cause problems in the finished dish, regardless of the sauce or other seasonings.

The $1.89 Lunch Our Editor-in-Chief Swears By

Chickpeas to the Rescue

Curried Chickpea Sandwich

You can count the ingredients on one hand.

Simplest Homemade Doughnuts

Meatballs lend comfort on one family's journey from Mexico.

My Family Recipe: Mexican Meatballs

What's New in the Neighborhood

From weeknight favorites to regional classics.

12 Essential Italian Cookbooks