What is the best wine to use for cooking when the recipe calls for "white wine"?

This is a baked chicken dish.

AmyRuth
AmyRuth January 21, 2012

I always use wine I would like to drink.... if that helps you

hardlikearmour January 21, 2012

I typically use a Savignon Blanc aka Fumé Blanc. You're looking for a dry, crisp wine for cooking.

KimW
KimW January 21, 2012

I keep an unoaked Chardonnay on hand for cooking. Find an inexpensive one that you like and buy a couple of bottles.

usuba dashi
usuba dashi January 21, 2012

Depends . . for example, a high acidic wine is best to bind anything with cheese (such as a fondue), but will curdle cream instantly. Think of the ingredients to match the wine you cook with. Higher quality wine is not always going to make the dish better, in fact, a cheaper wine that may have a distinct characteristic that gives it an imbalance for drinking, will actual give a kick to the dish you are creating.

susan g January 21, 2012

If the amounts are significant and the role in the recipe is central, follow the answers already given. If not, I keep a dry and a sweet vermouth as a regular wine stand in. It's a good keeper, and inexpensive.

Melusine
Melusine January 21, 2012

I agree with Susan G - a bottle of dry vermouth is always within reach of my stovetop for deglazing a skillet. There's no guessing on the flavor it will add, it doesn't go bad, so there's no waste.

Sam1148 January 21, 2012

We don't drink much wine here. So for cooking I get a couple of the little "six packs" of white and red. Which are perfect for cooking..and store very well as a large bottle would go bad for using just a cup or so in a recipe.

cranberry
cranberry January 22, 2012

For chicken, I too would use dry white vermouth. It is unlikely to cause problems in the finished dish, regardless of the sauce or other seasonings.