A question about a recipe: Preserved and Fresh Lemon Hummus......how do you make preserved lemon?

I have a question about the ingredient "quarters preserved lemon, rinsed" on the recipe "Preserved and Fresh Lemon Hummus" from susan g.

• Posted by: lauriep
  • February 23, 2012
51ed857d 6948 42e3 a07a 5db8e277a2da  cook by the book s
Recipe question for: Preserved and Fresh Lemon Hummus

Amanda Hesser February 23, 2012

Here's a recipe for preserving lemons (from a reliable source): http://simplyrecipes.com...

Maedl February 23, 2012

It is easy to make preserved lemons, but you won't get immediate gratification. The preserving process usually requires four to six weeks. If you want to make the lemon hummus now, you can usually buy preserved lemons at Whole Foods or at a Middle Eastern delikatessen.

susan g February 23, 2012

Here are directions from Pegeen, given in answer to a recent question. This is just about the way I made mine --
If you want to try the 30-day version: You need a glass jar (or some non-metal container) with a tight lid. Use organic (unwaxed) or Meyer (unwaxed) lemons. Cut them into quarters, slicing nearly to the bottom but not all the way, so the lemon is still whole. Sprinkle the insides of the quarters with kosher salt (not iodized table salt) and pack them tightly in the container, adding a little salt on top of each lemon as you pack it in. Cover with fresh lemon juice nearly to the top.Try to turn it upside down every day for 30 days. IMPORTANT: Rinse each lemon in clean water thoroughly before using! Usually, you use only the rind and cut away the lemon pulp. As you remove lemons from the jar, top off the jar with more fresh lemon juice or plain water.

Here's the link to the question -- http://www.food52.com/hotline...

Usually only the peel is used, rinsed. I have been using the pulp along with it, and mine are large and strong!
Hope you enjoy it!

Amanda Hesser February 23, 2012

Add your answer here