🔕 🔔

Is the portion size the same when baking with fruit preserves versus freshly sliced sliced?

I am baking with peach preserves but most recipes call for fresh sliced peaches. Say the recipe calls for 6 cups of sliced peaches, do i use the same amount of leach preserves?

asked by Heather Hawn 4 months ago

No, 6 cups of peach preserves is A LOT of preserves. Remember that peach preserves is not 100% peaches. At least half of it would be sugar.

What are you making? I can't give you an estimate of how much preserve to use if I don't know what you are trying to make. If you are baking something, you can't substitute 1 for 1 and expect to get comparable results.

F6332244 6ea2 4a1e 815d 44c9bcba5b43  fb avatar

The preserves I am using have no refined sugar added. I believe a couple of cans have some honey added, but not tons. I do not eat refined sugar. I am considering using the preserves for a couple of different recipes, one of which is slow cooker peach cobbler than calls for 6 cups of sliced peaches.

Filling
6 cups sliced peaches
1 tablespoon maple syrup
½ tablespoon cinnamon
⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
⅛ teaspoon salt

Topping:
1 cup almond flour
⅓ cup coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
⅛ teaspoon salt
4 eggs
¼ cup coconut oil
¼ teaspoon almond extract
2½ tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons almond milk

@Heather, 6 cups of preserves does not equal 6 cups slice fresh peaches. Remember that the preserves are cooked down fruit. It's going to be more concentrated. It may be that you only need 1/2 the amount of preserves. For the cobbler, I say use 3-4 cups of preserves. I was worried that it would be too sweet or worse too much preserve would overwhelm a cake and change it's structure and texture. Give it a try with cobbler recipe. Let us know how it works out.

Ok thanks!