Organic hog casing for home charcuterie!?!?

We cannot find any source of organic hog casing... and I don't mean "all natural" I mean ORGANIC. Any leads!? Thank you!

asked by saucy. von Trapp over 6 years ago

MrsWheelbarrow
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a food preserving expert and author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving.

Jordan, you need to find an organic pork producer. They may sell you casings, but be forewarned, if they are not fully prepped, it's quite a task to clean them, involving many hours of soaking.

saucy. von Trapp

Hi Mrs. Wheelbarrow, thank you... I should have specified... We grow our own pigs. I am willing to try most farm tasks... but I have to draw the line somewhere and that seems like a good place!
http://www.saucyvermont...

MrsWheelbarrow
MrsWheelbarrow

Yes, I would agree. It's a hideous task, and even at a seed-to-sausage producer in Gascony, casings were purchased from a triperiere. Perhaps you want to consider collagen casings? http://www.butcher-packer...

saucy. von Trapp

Thank you! I just read about muslin casing! Do you have any experience with those?! Seems like an excellent solution... I am researching more but common sense says may have to rub the outside with lard to keep moisture in...hmmm

MrsWheelbarrow
MrsWheelbarrow

Muslin isn't edible, while collagen is... Haven't used either one, as the casings I can pick up locally come from pastured pigs - I'm happy enough with that.

usuba dashi

Cleaning the intestines and pealing them is not a bad chore, but you have to know what you are doing. An alternative is to save the caul fat and wrap the forcemeat in it.

John Patterson

I am going to ask a few people in a Facebook Charcuterie group called the "Salt Cure Pig". There are a few farmers, processors and butchers in there that might be able to help. https://www.facebook.com...

saucy. von Trapp

Thanks everybody...John-cool, I just saw that group and asked to join! Butchering day is in exactly one week... Mrs Wheelbarrow- I did some reading on the collagen, doesn't sound like my cup of tea... I am calling around to all the local organic producers today... The muslin seems like a good solution but I am not willing to spend my saturday sewing sausage bags and I can't find anywhere to order them online...