Organic hog casing for home charcuterie!?!?

We cannot find any source of organic hog casing... and I don't mean "all natural" I mean ORGANIC. Any leads!? Thank you!

MrsWheelbarrow
MrsWheelbarrow February 25, 2012

Jordan, you need to find an organic pork producer. They may sell you casings, but be forewarned, if they are not fully prepped, it's quite a task to clean them, involving many hours of soaking.

saucy. von Trapp
saucy. von Trapp February 25, 2012

Hi Mrs. Wheelbarrow, thank you... I should have specified... We grow our own pigs. I am willing to try most farm tasks... but I have to draw the line somewhere and that seems like a good place!
http://www.saucyvermont.com/journal/2012/1/27/spicy-alluring-brownies-and-fine-piggy-portraiture.html

MrsWheelbarrow
MrsWheelbarrow February 25, 2012

Yes, I would agree. It's a hideous task, and even at a seed-to-sausage producer in Gascony, casings were purchased from a triperiere. Perhaps you want to consider collagen casings? http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=85_92&zenid=6966128e25cd823bb3503f47897ddf4c

saucy. von Trapp
saucy. von Trapp February 25, 2012

Thank you! I just read about muslin casing! Do you have any experience with those?! Seems like an excellent solution... I am researching more but common sense says may have to rub the outside with lard to keep moisture in...hmmm

MrsWheelbarrow
MrsWheelbarrow February 25, 2012

Muslin isn't edible, while collagen is... Haven't used either one, as the casings I can pick up locally come from pastured pigs - I'm happy enough with that.

usuba dashi
usuba dashi February 26, 2012

Cleaning the intestines and pealing them is not a bad chore, but you have to know what you are doing. An alternative is to save the caul fat and wrap the forcemeat in it.

John Patterson
John Patterson February 27, 2012

I am going to ask a few people in a Facebook Charcuterie group called the "Salt Cure Pig". There are a few farmers, processors and butchers in there that might be able to help. https://www.facebook.com...

saucy. von Trapp
saucy. von Trapp February 28, 2012

Thanks everybody...John-cool, I just saw that group and asked to join! Butchering day is in exactly one week... Mrs Wheelbarrow- I did some reading on the collagen, doesn't sound like my cup of tea... I am calling around to all the local organic producers today... The muslin seems like a good solution but I am not willing to spend my saturday sewing sausage bags and I can't find anywhere to order them online...