Too cold to grill my bison burgers

Broil or pan-fry?

asked by Brain Health Kitchen over 6 years ago

Broil - and put some additional fat on top, whichever fat you choose. Broiling is easier to control, unless you have a well seasoned cast iron skillet.

Wanted to add to my comment that I love your blog!

Brain Health Kitchen

Oh my goodness. Thank you so much! I don't have a well-seasoned cast iron skillet, but maybe I should get one!

Thanks SKK, you made my day.

lapadia

Just wanted to say I love your blog, too! :)

Brain Health Kitchen

Thank you Lapadia! I can't wait to try your Chocolate Espresso Pizzelles!

Bison burgers are among (along with other cuts of bison) my only red meat. Sear them in an oven-proof skillet. Quickly, say 4 minutes on each side with plenty of olive oil or reserved bacon fat. Preheat you oven to 250 degrees. Set the skillet in the oven and cook on low heat until your desired degree of doneness. Use the poke test. Poke your burgers. If they are very soft and yielding, they're rare. Degrees of resistance advance from there. Enjoy your burgers!!!!!

Brain Health Kitchen

Thanks boulangere. I love bison more than beef, and luckily it is more plentiful here. I was lucky this winter to have friend who harvested a beautiful bison just outside of Jackson Hole, so the ground bison is impeccably fresh.

Mr_Vittles

Pan fry. No broiler. Heat cast iron on medium high, cook 5 minutes, flip, cook 4 minutes. Cheese after the first flip.

your oven

I go for pan fry for those. I also mix some Worcester sauce in the mix. And then chill them in the 'fridge.
This helps them retain their shape when cooking.
The reverse of what you would do with a steak, where it needs to room temp.

Grill would be the best..but if too cold outside..I like the pan fry better than broiled. Chilling them after forming is a often overlooked step for any burger.