flour and milk based frosting

Has anyone tried a flour and milk based frosting with granulated sugar as opposed to the usual buttercream? It's popped up twice in the last week and has re-peaked my interest. Wondering what the difference is in texture and flavor profile and why one would go with one as opposed to the other.

asked by ATG117 over 6 years ago

ATG117

Thanks so much for this response--exactly what I was looking to know. Now I'm just waiting for an excuse to test it out.

Hilarybee

This kind of frosting is sometimes called either Ermine frosting or German Buttercream. I have a cooked milk frosting on my bakery's menu. I like to use a combination of heavy cream and whole milk, but you can use just whole milk. I love the smooth, velvety texture. I especially love that it is more stable at room temperature than whipped cream. However, it can be very tricky. If stability becomes an issue, try a recipe that utilizes cornstarch. Overbeating will cause the frosting to become soup. If this happens, put the mixer bowl in the fridge for an hour or two. Then re-beat. The frosting will hold up at room temp, but I prefer to keep cakes like this in the refrigerator until about an hour before they will be served.
There is a good recipe in Baked Explorations for Grass Hopper Bars with an ermine frosting here:
http://www.seriouseats...

I think that Stella Parks' recipe for Gilt Taste is a particularly good albeit modified German Buttercream that incorporates cream cheese and custard, making it more stable.
http://www.gilttaste.com/stories/2292-the-original-red-wine-velvet-cake-recipe

ATG117

Thanks for all this additional info, Hilarybeee