🔕 🔔

flour and milk based frosting

Has anyone tried a flour and milk based frosting with granulated sugar as opposed to the usual buttercream? It's popped up twice in the last week and has re-peaked my interest. Wondering what the difference is in texture and flavor profile and why one would go with one as opposed to the other.

asked by ATG117 over 5 years ago

Thanks so much for this response--exactly what I was looking to know. Now I'm just waiting for an excuse to test it out.

67da29df 0253 44dd 98a1 250b49e519a4  hilary sp1

This kind of frosting is sometimes called either Ermine frosting or German Buttercream. I have a cooked milk frosting on my bakery's menu. I like to use a combination of heavy cream and whole milk, but you can use just whole milk. I love the smooth, velvety texture. I especially love that it is more stable at room temperature than whipped cream. However, it can be very tricky. If stability becomes an issue, try a recipe that utilizes cornstarch. Overbeating will cause the frosting to become soup. If this happens, put the mixer bowl in the fridge for an hour or two. Then re-beat. The frosting will hold up at room temp, but I prefer to keep cakes like this in the refrigerator until about an hour before they will be served.
There is a good recipe in Baked Explorations for Grass Hopper Bars with an ermine frosting here:
http://www.seriouseats...

I think that Stella Parks' recipe for Gilt Taste is a particularly good albeit modified German Buttercream that incorporates cream cheese and custard, making it more stable.
http://www.gilttaste.com...

Thanks for all this additional info, Hilarybeee