flour and milk based frosting

Has anyone tried a flour and milk based frosting with granulated sugar as opposed to the usual buttercream? It's popped up twice in the last week and has re-peaked my interest. Wondering what the difference is in texture and flavor profile and why one would go with one as opposed to the other.

• Posted by: ATG117
  • February 26, 2012

Voted the Best Reply!

ATL
ATL February 26, 2012

This is an old recipe that makes a delectable frosting with a very light texture--
almost like whipped cream. It is very different from a buttercream in its lightness, yet it has a rich taste. Get past the weirdness of incorporating cooked flour and milk into a frosting and you will be delighted with the result.
The key is to beat it until it is extremely smooth , and if you see any lumps just keep beating. Try this on a cake where you normally would use cream cheese frosting to see what you think.

ATG117
ATG117 February 26, 2012

Thanks so much for this response--exactly what I was looking to know. Now I'm just waiting for an excuse to test it out.

Hilarybee
Hilarybee February 26, 2012

This kind of frosting is sometimes called either Ermine frosting or German Buttercream. I have a cooked milk frosting on my bakery's menu. I like to use a combination of heavy cream and whole milk, but you can use just whole milk. I love the smooth, velvety texture. I especially love that it is more stable at room temperature than whipped cream. However, it can be very tricky. If stability becomes an issue, try a recipe that utilizes cornstarch. Overbeating will cause the frosting to become soup. If this happens, put the mixer bowl in the fridge for an hour or two. Then re-beat. The frosting will hold up at room temp, but I prefer to keep cakes like this in the refrigerator until about an hour before they will be served.
There is a good recipe in Baked Explorations for Grass Hopper Bars with an ermine frosting here:
http://www.seriouseats...

I think that Stella Parks' recipe for Gilt Taste is a particularly good albeit modified German Buttercream that incorporates cream cheese and custard, making it more stable.
http://www.gilttaste.com/stories/2292-the-original-red-wine-velvet-cake-recipe

ATG117
ATG117 February 26, 2012

Thanks for all this additional info, Hilarybeee