🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Brussels Sprouts Salad a la M. Wells

F762bbb3 d5fd 468b a9c7 234b2a20a07f  122010f 666 3

I have a question about the ingredient "Pinch piment d'espelette, or to taste" on the recipe "Brussels Sprouts Salad a la M. Wells" from amanda.

What is this ingredient, and is there a widely available substitute?

asked by sunnychef over 5 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

You can use any ground or flaked chile -- like cayenne, hot paprika, or crushed red pepper flakes (just grind or chop them a little). You just want to add a little spark of heat to the salad.

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

Piment d'Esplette is a Basque pepper from the French side of the frontier with Spain. Literally the city of Esplette. I would substitute a good Spanish pimenton aka "paprika" even though that's the Hungarian word; I don't know how these terms get all mixed up. Blame it on Colombus.

Wanted to add that where I am anyway piment d'esplette is ABSURDLY expensive, so I would definitely sub a Spanish paprika. Not smoked though.