🔕 🔔

What can I substitute for sesame oil?

asked by bebelaur about 6 years ago

Pumpkin seed oil may make an adequate substitute, depending on what the dish is.

Pumpkin seed oil, to approximate the toasted sesame taste, should be unrefined for full flavor.

bigpan

Sesame oil is unique . I don't think sesame tastes like pumpkin. Maybe use peanut oil and a liberal sprinkle of sesame seed on the dish.

lloreen

Peanut oil, though it isn't the same. If you are making the sub because of a sesame allergy be really, really careful, though. Most nut oils are contaminated with trace sesame seeds and you are much safer using olive and canola. I accidentally caused someone to go into shock because of contaminated peanut oil :(

Meatballs&Milkshakes

If you have sesame seeds instead, you can toast them and use a neutral oil.